Monday 3 September 2012

Audrey





images via google

Now I'm sure you all know who this beautiful woman is, but for those of you who don't Audrey Hepburn was a Belgian born (in 1929) iconic actress who was at her prime in the 50's & early 60's although she continued her career for many years until her unfortunate death in 1993 of colon cancer.  This was infact 4 years before I was even born and so I find it incredibly respectable and just proving how amazing her life was that she is still so very iconic and celebrated.  I also find it very ironic how she dreamed of being a prima ballerina all the childhood life during WW2 as she danced for money until she was too malnourished to continue, due to food shortages during the war.  Did you know for a while her name was changed to Edda so her name was more dutch-sounding when Germany invaded Holland?  The war later finished and she went to do ballet for 3 years in Amsterdam, later to receive a scholarship in London and to support her ballet studies she did modelling on the side, which in some great way helped her into her huge career she later began.  Her ballet teacher then advised her to give up her dream of being a prima ballerina as of her poor muscle development (due to starvation during the war).  She begins to do parts in films before a french novelist name Colette discovers her and insists she is in her stage adapted novel of 'Gigi'.  It is from this novelist that later wrote Hepburn had then said “I’m sorry, Madame, but it is impossible. I wouldn’t be able to, because I can’t act.”  Don't you just find that a little bit funny?  And from there on she started her acting career.  
I felt like sharing that with you guys as I just found it so interesting!  I also discovered she was the very first woman to make a celebrity perfume due to her very strong link with Givenchy (she insisted he make all of her on camera outfits as said Hubert De Givenchy's (founder of The House of Givenchy) were the only clothes she felt herself in; “His are the only clothes in which I am myself,”.  Later in her life she founded AHCF (Audrey Hepburn Child Fund) and worked with UNICEF.

I thought this was really interesting to understand more about her and her life, though of course I have left a lot out.  But I found it oddly inspiring the idea of just seeing where life may lead you;  look at Audrey Hepburn - dreams of living life as a prima ballerina and become one of the most famous, iconic actresses the world has ever seen. 

2 comments:

  1. she is flawless. love your blog, let's follow each other! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey Hepburn is the most wonderful person ever, and her style is perfect.
    I love your blog by the way, ahh you have such good style! x

    ReplyDelete